If you have just started your research to buy a new mattress, there’s no doubt you’ve discovered that the mattress industry is changing. Gone are the days of visiting your local mattress store, lying down on a floor model, navigating the sales process and hoping you’re committing to the right choice.
Online retailers are disrupting the traditional mattress purchase funnel. In a way, online retailers are putting the purchase power back into the hands of customers, allowing them to scour transparent information and reviews, choose an option and test with generous free, home trials.
With over 100 mattresses available online, from these newer name companies, finding a mattress to try is becoming more and more difficult to navigate. Between product claims, celebrity endorsements and scores of reviews, where do you start? How can you recognize when a product is the right choice for you? Here are some important things to consider, before you buy a mattress online:
- What is the mission of the company? This should be one of the the easier parts of researching to buy a mattress. Nevertheless, it is important to evaluate how the company is positioned. Are they the most affordable? Are they focusing on high quality, natural products? Or, do they seem to just have a great website and marketing strategy? These things matter, because even the most attractive company may not produce the right product for your needs. Clarify what it is that you are looking for (for example, affordable and factory-direct, or all-natural with great certifications), then check out the company’s information, to make sure you’re looking in the right place.
- How good are those reviews? Where there is an online mattress, there are bound to be hundreds of reviews. But not all good reviews are created equal. Make sure the site you’re researching is one you trust, and read the comments of other users. Also, make sure you can sort through the reviews, and read both good and bad feedback. It will help you to determine which mattress is best for you.
- Is your bed factory-direct, or are you buying from a middleman? One of the best aspects of ordering a mattress online is being able to buy your mattress directly from the manufacturer, instead of a middleman who claims to make the mattress, and brands it as their own. If the company doesn’t make the bed, this means the manufacturer charges them, they add their profit, and you are the one paying extra. Factory-direct means you know where it’s coming from, and you are cutting out the extra middleman expense - this means more value for your money.
- Where do the materials come from? Every mattress buyer should consider where they want to purchase their mattress from. If it’s a latex mattress, where is the latex collected from? Where is it processed? Where do they source the cotton for the cover? Keep in mind that beds made overseas may be cheaper, but the quality can disappoint, and the American economy suffers. American-made products with sustainably sourced materials are not hard to find with some research.
- The price is right, but is the mattress? Make sure you thoroughly research the cost vs. value of your potential online mattress. What exactly are you paying for: craftsmanship, new material technology, quality of materials, all-natural processes?
- There are so many considerations when buying a mattress. However, most companies whose products are high quality will be transparent about things such as manufacturing, materials and performance. Use those important reviews from point 2 and evaluate the durability, performance and product specifications, alongside the cost. Ask yourself the questions that matter most to you: Is it all-natural, the best technology of its kind, etc.? Based on your priorities, and the company’s ability to meet those expectations, you can select the best mattress for your needs.
- How good is their customer service? The beauty of online retailers is the ease of research, comparison and asking questions. Use the e-commerce platform to your advantage, and test out the online customer service before you decide to purchase. Online companies can offer great assistance. It’s important that a company meet high standards for customer service.
The variety of mattresses and the vast supply of information should not get in your way of finding the best online mattress for you. Instead, keep these things in mind as you sift through online retailers’ sites, marketing materials, customer reviews, and mattress review sites. The mission, source of reviews, factory relationship, materials, and cost vs. value are key considerations for narrowing down your options.
Remember, most online retailers offer free shipping and free at-home trials. Stick with your research, make sure you’re getting the quality you deserve, and don’t hesitate to try an online mattress retailer. Embrace the disruption of the traditional mattress buying market, and put your needs before the sales process.