There are a lot of benefits to sleeping on a latex pillow, which makes them a great investment. They provide you with excellent cushioning and support, and are also breathable and durable. They're even resistant to mildew and dust mites, and antimicrobial.
Is a Latex Pillow a Good Choice for You?
Latex pillows are recommended if you:
- Are looking for more natural materials. A natural latex pillow is made with some of the healthiest materials around. Regardless, if your budget allows for an affordable blended latex or an all-natural latex, both incorporate natural materials and elements.
- Are looking for a hypoallergenic pillow. If you suffer from allergies, you may want to sleep on an all-natural latex pillow, because it's hypoallergenic, and resistant to dust mites and mold. You can also reduce allergens even more by adding a pillow encasement.
- Are looking for a faster response time. Latex pillows provide a high degree of support and bounce. You won't experience that "trapped" or "stuck" feeling due to their quicker response time and added support for deeper compression.
Types of Latex Pillows
There are several types of latex pillows, including a shredded natural latex pillow and a solid natural latex pillow. But, which type of pillow should you choose? Below you'll learn the difference between a shredded vs solid latex pillow.
Shredded Natural Latex Option
Soft, shredded natural latex combines the moldability and comfort of traditional pillows with the hypoallergenic and resilient nature of botanical latex. You can fluff and smush your pillow as much as you want to create the ideal softness and perfect shape for you.
Solid Latex Pillow
Solid natural latex pillows are perfect if you have a little warmer internal body temperature. These pillows have outstanding airflow and ventilation due to the cell structure of solid natural latex. This helps you avoid feeling stuffy each night from your shoulders up, and helps you breathe freely. And, since latex is springy and soft, any pressure points you have will instantly melt away and dissipate the minute your head hits the pillow.
If you have chemical sensitivities, you can feel better knowing solid natural latex pillows are naturally hypoallergenic and dye-free. They're also naturally mildew and mold and dust mite resistant.
Solid vs. Shredded Latex — The Differences
When looking for the best latex pillow, you have a couple of primary options to consider:
- A shredded latex pillow
- A solid (usually contoured) latex pillow
Shredded natural latex offers you the light feeling and fluffiness of traditional down pillows with no bunching or shifting, and never goes flat. It allows you to sleep cozy and cool.
Solid natural latex cradles your neck and head gently, with outstanding relief from pressure in any sleeping position. You can enjoy buoyant, soft support all night long.
The primary difference between a shredded natural latex pillow or a solid natural latex pillow is the overall pillow airflow and density. The solid type typically has a more pronounced, denser feel to it, whereas the shredded type feels softer, and its shredded foam allows more airflow through the pillow, helping to provide better cooling, and limit heat retention.
Benefits of Shredded Natural Latex Pillows
- They're the perfect alternative to products that treat animals inhumanely (down) or those that use potentially harmful chemicals (memory foam).
- They're malleable. You can squish a shredded natural latex pillow, so that it fits into the space between your neck and head, providing you with proper support.
- They're quiet. Latex doesn't slosh, creak, or rustle like other types of pillows. Their small pieces of latex have an abnormal shape, allowing airflow between them.
- They're clean and safe. They're perfect if you want to sleep on the cleanest and safest materials.
- They're perfect if you like to mold and fluff your pillow, without it clumping or shifting.
- They're healthy, mold and mildew resistant and hypoallergenic, providing you with a pleasant, comfortable sleeping experience each night.
Benefits of Solid Natural Latex Pillows
- They provide the greatest level of responsive support for your neck and head, regardless of your sleep position.
- They're naturally springy, and conform to your body the minute you lie down.
- They provide optimal airflow, allowing you to sleep cool all night long.
- They provide you with a soft and smooth surface to sleep on.
The bottom line: both types of pillows are perfect for sleep. If you like to adjust and fluff your pillow, you might want to choose the shredded natural latex pillow. If you like to sleep on a soft and smooth surface that will conform to the shape of your head, go with the solid natural latex pillow. However, both options are 100 percent all-natural, plant-derived latex with no chemicals and fillers.
Have questions about our Latex for Less pillows? Call us toll-free at 1-888-522-1596, and we will be glad to answer them!